The department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Doctor Hari Singh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar (Formerly known as SaugorUniversity, SAGAR) of Madhya Pradesh has been a relent less and pioneer in spreading the Pharmaceutical education in each nook and corner of globe. It has established in 1955 and completing 50 years of successful journey in 2005.
Department has made significant contribution in Pharmacy education and research.It has published more than 500 research papers in last 10 years in various national and foreign journal and has two patents. So far department has produced about 110 Ph.D. in different discipline and department is running various major research projects sanctioned by AICTE, DST,UGC etc.. The faculty members of this department have made remarkable contribution to the profession of Pharmacy.
SUMMARY OF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
ØDiploma in Soaps and Cosmetics- started in 1948 as a
Ø B.Sc. course of two-year duration introduced with Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry - 1952
ØPost B. Sc. course of one-year duration introduced in 1954
ØIn 1955 AICTE inspected the Department & Recommended the adoption of the B. Pharm Course (Three years duration after Inter-Sciences)
ØA new pharmacy course introduced in July 1956
Ø Diploma course in Pharmacy conducted upto 1956 simultaneously with a B. Pharm (Honours) course for the Diploma holders.
ØB. Pharm four years integrated course started in 1964 (on the recommendation of AICTE)
ØFinancial assistance received for the above courses by UGC and State Government
Ø M. Pharm course started in 1957
Ø UGC started awarding fellowships to 20 PG students in 1962
Ø This was the third Pharmacy Department in the country and first in the state
Ø Number of seats in M. Pharm. increased to 33 in 1999 and 50 from the session 2002-2003.
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The credit for founding the pharmacy course goes to Prof. A. K. Bhattacharya, the then Head- Department of Chemistry. A humble beginning was made in July 1948 through introduction of a Diploma in Soaps and Cosmetics. With a fund made available by University sanctioned as a paltry grant of Rs. 1000 for the purpose, followed by a B. Sc. Degree course with Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry in 1952 at Sagar. Prof. Pathak looked after Pharmaceutical Chemistry while the instructions in Industrial Chemistry were carried out by Late. C. S. Chauhan and Shri R. L. Khare. The syllabus of this unique B. Sc. course was sincerely designed under the direction and advises of Prof. N. K. Basu, the great educationist of this country of his time. This was a typical repetitive experiment of a kind of 1932 B. H. U. experiment which had already been modified to a regular course for Degree of Pharmacy. Simultaneously, a condensed B. Pharm. Course was designed for one year that additionally covered instructions in pharmaceutical chemistry, Pharmacy, pharmacology, and Pharmacognosy. Thus, it was in 1952 when University started offering B. Sc. (Pharmacy) degree.
It was in 1954 when the course attained specific attention and looking to its popularity and potentiality, the faculty categorically to look after the specially designed course was strengthened and as a result Dr. R. L. Nikore and Dr. K. C. Verma (a Ph. D. from University of Washington at Seattle) as lecturer were appointed. Apparently it led to redesigning of an independent degree programme in pharmacy and was introduced as B. Pharm. course in 1954. However, the teaching and administration of course was under the command and control of Prof. A. K. Bhattacharya for this programme being a part of chemistry.
This is how in philosophy and practice a full-fledged course was inseminated which flourished to its subsequent identity when in 1955 a visiting committee of All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) inspected the department of chemistry and recommended to the University Grants Commission (UGC) to provide fund for B. Pharm. 3 year degree course after I Sc. Thus with the University fund available in 1956 a full-fledged course of B. Pharm. was introduced in July 1956, and vis a vis new department as Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry was established.
Dr. Pathak left in 1955 to join back his alma mater, the CalcuttaUniversity. In his place Dr. Harkishan Singh from B. H. U. joined as a lecturer in Pharmaceutical Chemistry in July 1956 and later Dr. V. Vasuderaish joined as Lecturer in Pharmacology and Physiology and Shri S. N. Thampi in leave vacancy of R. L. Nikore who proceeded to Germany for his doctorate. The University Grant Commission had provided a post of professor and two Readers.Dr. S. N. Sharma from B.H.U. who had recently back to country from England with Ph. D. from Manchester university was appointed as Reader and Head of this Newly created department of pharmaceutical chemistry in 1957. It was then pointed out and suggested to Prof. A. K. Bhattacharya that the name of the department would be more appropriate if it was “Department of Pharmacy”. He agreed to it immediately and took up for suggested change with the University bodies. A building of the department constructed at the present campus under sincere guidance and efforts of Dr. S. N. Sharma and his team. Earlier, the department had just 4000 sq. ft. space available at Makronia site of the University. Thus with such a silent and humble beginning department came to an existence and soon after under graduate programme, in 1957 it started offering Degree in Master of Pharmacy too.
The M. Pharm. pattern adopted was as followed in Banaras, however the duration was of 2 year which was later followed all over the India. It was Sagar department where a compulsory paper on modern techniques and methods of research was made compulsory for all M. Pharm. admittants; with a optional paper in Pharmaceutics or Pharmaceutical Chemistry or Pharmacognosy and second year devoted to the research in respective specialization. Subsequently, in July 1964 a brain storming session and discussion among teachers and staff was held which led to a conclusion that there should be one compulsory paper on modern analytical techniques, for all M. Pharm. students and three papers in any one of the three specializations i.e. Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy followed by research in respective specialization in second year. This is popularly referred to as ‘Sagar Model’, which was widely acclaimed and adopted. This had not onlyprovided firm foundation to research but also at the same time helped to build discrete research orientation with interest in students.